The Church of the Holy Family was designed by leading Scottish Roman Catholic architect, Reginald Fairlie, in the early 1930’s.
Fairlie’s church was financed by the Stirling’s of Keir. The family converted to Catholicism on the marriage of Brigadier General Archibald Stirling of Keir to The Honourable Margaret Mary Fraser, a catholic and daughter of 13th Baron Lovat in 1910. The Honourable Margaret Stirling, as she became, financed the church as a memorial to her husband raising funds through the sale of an El Greco painting to the National Gallery, London.
The style of the church is Romanesque, reminiscent of early Celtic buildings and with an Art and Craft type roof. All the material in the church came from the Keir estates, including the stone work, slates and rafters which are held together by simple joinery.
The church is called the Church of the Holy Family because it was opened for worship on the Feast of the Holy Family, December 27, 1934.
Prior to the building of the Holy Family the Presbytery and Church hall were originally a private villa and coach house with hayloft used as a chapel from 1883 when the priest would travel from the catholic church at Doune for mass each Sunday. The rose window was added to the hayloft gable end in the 1890s with funds provided by the Campbell’s of Inverardoch when the house was also taken over by the church.
The Dunblane Memorial Window was erected by the parishioners of the Holy Family Church and their friends in Dunblane and beyond, in memory of the Dunblane Primary School Incident, March 13, 1996. The initial idea for the memorial was suggested by artist Kenneth King who lives in County Donegal. His ideas were interpreted and developed by stained glass artist Shona McInnes, who designed and made the windows.